Sunday, September 12, 2010

Homemade Pretzels




Amber has wanted to make homemade pretzels for a long time. Somehow, we just never got around to it. But I saw this recipe from my sister-in-law and wanted to try it. Most pretzel recipes have you boil the pretzels before you bake them. That was more complicated than I wanted to do. This recipe just has you dip the formed pretzels in warm water mixed with baking soda. The kids loved making these! We did half with salt and half with cinnamon-sugar. I wish I had better pictures of the pretzels, but this is all I have.


Yummy Home Made Pretzels with Cinnamon & Sugar (from Denise)

1 (.25oz) package active dry yeast (2 tsp. instant or 2 1/2 tsp active dry)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
2 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons melted butter
2 Tablespoons Coarse kosher salt

In a large mixing bowl dissolve the yeast, brown sugar, and salt in 1 1/2 cups warm water. Use dough hook and stir in flour on low until combined then on med. for 4-5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise for one hour.

Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8 inch square pan.

After dough has risen cut into 12 even pieces. Roll each piece into a long snake. (as long as you want it. short or long it doesn't matter) Twist into a pretzel shape or what ever the kids make. Dip into the baking soda solution and place on parchment covered cookie sheet, or silicone cover baking sheet. Let rise 15 to 20 min.

Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 min depending on thickness of pretzels, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with coarse salt, garlic salt, or cinnamon sugar.

Note: When forming the ropes, roll each one to about half the length you want, then set it aside while you roll the rest. By the time you get back to the first rope, it will have rested enough to roll it longer.

(To form the pretzels, shape the long piece of dough into a "U" shape, twist it, and then bring the ends down and pinch them at the bottom. If you need a visual - look it up on Google.)

2 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

My kid would FLIP! They love pretzels!

Trainer Momma said...

I've been looking for a homemade pretzel recipe. I might just have to give this one a whirl!